Many people are unaware that the leaves, skin, pit, and bark of avocados and avocado trees are highly toxic to many types of animals.
As wonderful and nutritious as avocados are for us humans, they are deadly if consumed by an animal that is unable to digest them properly.
Avocado is toxic to cats, dogs, horses, and many types of birds, and for this reason it should never be fed to animals under any circumstance.
The main culprit is a fatty acid called persin which can cause diarrhea, vomiting, respiratory distress, congestion, and even death.
Not all dogs or cats will become sick from eating a small amount of avocado, but it is not worth the risk and they should never be willingly exposed to it.